Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Packet capture using a switch as copper tap

I have a nexus 9K i need to span 1 port (source) to 3 destinations. The Nexus 9K has a limitation built in to not allow more than 2 destinations for a source and no more than 2 spans with the same source. I had thought if i span the 1 source, to 1 destination, connect to a cisco switch 2960, use the receiving port on the 2960 as the source and then put my capture devices 3 destinations on the 2960 this may work. I tried doing this with a different switch as a test. What I found was the switch was collecting the incoming MAC addresses and adding them to its MAC table. This clearly caused issues and I shut it down.

Does anyone know how to make what Im suggesting work? Disable the mac table? or is it just better to ask the boss for $ to purchase a copper tap?



No comments:

Post a Comment