Saturday, July 20, 2019

Where to now?

Hey, y'all,

About four months ago I landed a job in a small IT shop (four people; the CTO, help desk tier 1.5, a web/database guru, and myself) in which I wear many hats. My experience and training are all in network design, deployment, security, and maintenance. However, at this company I get the wonderful opportunity to learn many sysadmin, mbxadmin, and more in depth cybersecurity than I would at a larger company with the same qualifications.

This is of course a great opportunity, being my first career position after my discharge from the army (only took two years with no degree lol) but I have a CCNA, whereas our company uses 95% UniFI and HP L3 PoE switches. This is not too much of an adjustment from Cisco, but I'm not sure what certification to get next. I would like to understand our PAN's beyond just being able to keep them running, but the next class I would be available to attend would be in March.

TLDR; I need to learn our cyber security architecture and just how PAN works in general, but will not have a formal opportunity for some time, should I just bite the bullet and get the lower level certs such as Security+ (money is not an issue if you have better suggestions.)

Responses appreciated, thank you!



No comments:

Post a Comment