Friday, July 19, 2019

Virtual firewalls in public clouds

I apologies for this being a bit of a ELI5 post, however after some reading I am still a little confused.

I have been reading some docs regarding the vSRX, vMX etc range form Juniper (similar Cisco et al versions exist as well) and they are pushing the marketing that you can build these in your public cloud networks, especially if you're doing hybrid cloud. I am at a loss as to what for, however; what do they give you that either AWS or Azure doesn't give you out the box?

Currently we have a data centre running Juniper and we have a very small presence in both Azure and AWS globally, and most of this is quite simple with VMs, some database, and 3 k8s clusters across both clouds, however I am now building our project plan to move large portions of our web infrastructure in to the public cloud and I am reading Junipers docs on vSRX in both AWS and Azure but cannot see why I would pay for this. Is someone able to explain what I am missing here?
The VPN tunnels from our DC to all our cloud locations were simple enough to setup and they never change, and we have ACLs which are changed depending on our changes in the cloud so I guess there might be some automation between what you do in the cloud and then the firewalling between a vSRX and our physical SRX but, I am not sure what.

Cheers
Chris



No comments:

Post a Comment