Saturday, July 20, 2019

Moca and Comcast (Docsis 3.x) over the same coax cable

Hello,

I am trying to help out a small business to get decent WiFi coverage and running into some issues with wiring.

I am aware that the proper solution to the issue is to run Cat6 cable and be done with it, but I am pretty terrible at running cable and owner doesn't want to hire somebody to run cable. So I am trying to see if there are cheaper/simpler alternatives.

What I need to do is to install at least 1 more AP. The building is all wired up with coax, but no other cabling. Due to how everything is laid out, cable modem needs to be in one specific room. The Coax cable from the street comes into an attic, where it gets split into multiple rooms, including the one with the modem.

So my question is - could I use Moca adapters on the same cable that's carrying Comcast's TV and Internet signal? I don't need more than 100Mbps link. According to the standards that I see, Moca and Docsis do have overlapping channels, but I am not sure if there are any special Moca adapters that are designed to work like that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment