Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Connecting a QNAP with an AWS Snowball with SFP+

Hey,

Just today received a snowball from AWS, which as 2 SFP+ ports, an RJ45 port, an included SFP cable and an included RJ45 cable.

I'd ideally like to connect using SFP+ as it allows for 10GBps transfer rate, whereas the RJ45 is limited to 1GBps.

I've connected the cable, and it is recognised by the QNAP, I assign it a manual IP address of 192.168.10.1 and I assign a manual IP address to the snowball of 192.168.10.2 with subnets of 255.255.255.0

I can not however ping the snowball from the QNAP.

If I connect the RJ45 cables directly between devices and configure IP addresses, I can ping the other device over the RJ45 interface.

Is there something else that needs doing with SFP? I am slightly familiar with the technology, but never configured it.



No comments:

Post a Comment