Thursday, October 11, 2018

Windows Server 2016 : How to automatically ADD a new DNS record when a host get a DHCP lease

Hello everyone,

I have a Windows server 2016 VM which runs DHCP & DNS services.

I set up a DHCP scope and create an IP reservation for one specific host (which is the only DHCP client at the moment).

This part work great, my client gets its IP / GW / DNS server.

My problem is the following :

I would like to automatically *ADD\* its IP address into my DNS server and make a record based on its hostname but for the moment not a single A record has been created even though I checked the options on my DHCP server (Scope properties -> DNS tab) : all options to "dynamically update DNS are ticked".

Questions :

Do I have to create a new A record first and then It will update automatically ?

Or is it suppose to dynamically add new DNS entries when a new IP is given by my DHCP ?



No comments:

Post a Comment