Friday, October 12, 2018

Should I finish getting my Bachelors?

I've been working Desktop support for a little over 3 years, but have been wanting to get into network engineering. I had been unable to get a network engineering job and decided to start a Bachelor's program at WGU (Network Operations and Security) to see if that would help, however, recently a network engineer position opened at my workplace and I am set to be transferred there soon.

I have another year left on my Bachelor's (maybe a bit less if I really accelerate) but I've already done the main courses (CCNA, CCNA sec) and all I have left are a bunch of filler like Sec+, ITIL, etc. Time spent doing these courses is less time spent studying for things at my job. I could do it, but it would take time away from studying relevant things. Additionally, I know that experience + certs tend to matter more than degrees in IT.

Yet, I know that a degree might be something of a tie-breaker for a position if I've competing with someone with similar qualifications and if I get it, I get a 5% raise at my current job (though I don't plan on being in this position for any longer than 2 1/2 years). Any advice?

Edited: meant to say experience and certs matter more



No comments:

Post a Comment