Friday, October 12, 2018

New tech tips?

So I'm a store manager that managed to find his way in to being a tech, and my first job is to clean up the networks at my companies various stores. Some sites are 20+ years old, and I'm finding OLD ass stuff, like rj11 switches that are just left under registers, not going to anything, etc. Mostly I'm just seeking any advice anyone can think of to make things smoother and easier, stuff to save me time, etc. I've learned to tape the levers on ethernet cables whenever I have to run them, etc., and to tape them to cables that are already in awkward spots when I have to run them through somewhere. Using a cable tester to see what cable is which from one part of the store to.the other. I've put together a tool belt that includes different colored tape to help follow different cables, i.e. that are all blue and going through the same spot in the wall, etc. I'm pinning cables to walls and such to keep them sorted, and using velcro straps to bundle cables that are too long, or ones that need to be grouped together. I'm labeling each end with what connects to what, and I'm making a topology for when I'm done.

That's about what I've got so far.



No comments:

Post a Comment