Saturday, October 13, 2018

New Job - Panic Ensuing

I've been recently offered a new job with a city as network admin. This is my first admin position and I will be "it" as far as the network is involved. My last position was a network technician which is another way of describing help desk w/ added infrastructure responsibilities.

Needless to say, I am panicking and feel like I am going to drown at the new job. I have a decent amount of experience with Cisco networking (which is what they use) in terms of configuring and troubleshooting switches but not so much with routers, wireless and voice equipment. In terms of firewalls and sec appliances, I am relatively new with but I understand the basic maintenance and configurations of setting one up as I have done this before.

Would anyone here have some hints/pointers for me as to how city network jobs are in terms of workload, expectations, and the like? I just want to make sure I am not going up to my eyeballs in problems with no way out.



No comments:

Post a Comment