Thursday, October 11, 2018

A full flat network and lots of headaches

Good Day - This is my 1st post here so forgive me if this is considered low quality or not normal.

I just started my job as #2 in a 2 man IT department. Currently we are on a flat 255 address network. We are rapidly expanding and are going to be doing a network upgrade within the next month. We are fast running out of IP addresses!

In the interim I've noticed some devices with static IPs have been randomly dropping off the network. From wireless AP's to desktops with static IP addresses. Sometimes new deployments don't pick up a dhcp address and I have to manually assign a static IP. Then a week later it will randomly lose connectivity.

My question is this - would having a "full network" with almost no free addresses cause devices to randomly drop off the network?



No comments:

Post a Comment