Saturday, September 1, 2018

Standalone Firewall vs Firewall built into router/gateway?

I am currently planning the network setup for my new house and I was wondering about getting a standalone firewall. I know my fios Quantum gateway has an internal firewall, but is there any benefit to using a standalone firewall? My network setup is a work in progress, but right now I am planning to run 2 cat6a outlets to every bedroom, plus several other outlets around the house, and a at 4-6 to both my den and home theater for the TVs' accessories. So I know I'm going to need a rack mounted patch panel (24 Port) and managed switch. Plus I'll home automation with Samsung SmartThings using 1-2 Connect Home hubs (that I can use as routers) and Arlo surveillance cameras. So right now I'm looking trying to decide between using a Geekpub Wanbox with PFSense using the WAN cord from the Fios ONT or the source or using the Fios Gateway as the source? Or can I use both?



No comments:

Post a Comment