Friday, August 31, 2018

Pre-owned Catalyst 4506 questions

Hello /r/networking, I have stumbled upon this pre-owned machine at my local computer store (see pictures). I am a noob who recently started an online course in networking on Udemy and I wanted to know what it is. The store owner has no idea what it is or what it's worth, he said he got it with some bulk purchase.

From what I have found online it seems to be a managed switch called Cisco Catalyst 4506, within the 4500 series. There is no End-of-Sale date announced on the Cisco website, so I assume this machine should be up to date. There are a lot of different options within the 4500 series and I have no idea what this machine is worth. I tried looking on Ebay but prices vary so much that this information does not provide accuracy. Just one power supply alone could be worth $400.

I hope this community can help me figure out:

  • Does this machine use CatOS (as Wikipedia suggests) or Cisco IOS (as the Cisco webpage suggests)?
  • Why does this machine not have RJ-45 ports (aside from the 'entry') and what are these kind of ports called?
  • What is this machine worth? Should I buy it if the shop owner offers me a good deal, or is this machine too old?

    Thanks so much,

a noob



No comments:

Post a Comment