Monday, May 7, 2018

Switching bandwidth / forwarding performance in Mpps

Hey all,

I'm in the process of working out which switches will fit our requirements, and seem to be having a derp moment.

I want to confirm that all 48 1Gbps ports on a 2960-X (Lan-Base) + 2 10Gbps uplinks can operate at line rate.

I believe I've confirmed this by confirming the switching bandwidth of 216Gbps.

(Data sheet: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-2960-x-series-switches/data_sheet_c78-728232.html)

I've confirmed that 2Gbps (full duplex 1Gbps) * 48 (Ports) = 96Gbps, and with the two 10Gbps uplinks = 136Gbps, plus stack of 80Gbps full duplex = 216Gbps which matches the switching bandwidth. That makes sense.

Where I'm having issues is when looking at the Mpps table.

It says 130.9Mpps is possible on the Cisco Catalyst 2960X-48FPD-L model with 64 byte packets.

I'm getting confused relating the Mpps to the switching bandwidth. How can I calculate how many Mpps at various packets sizes? How can I find the maximum Mpps for the switch? Does this relate to the Switching Bandwidth at all?



No comments:

Post a Comment