Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Ruckus AP Deployment Best Practices

I am about to deploy a bunch of Ruckus R720 AP's with Smartzone 100 controller and Cloud Path. I am looking for some best practice type advice here. We currently have old Cisco gear installed. Our facility consists of around 20 buildings. Each building has it's own separate vlan for wired devices but the AP's are all in one flat vlan that spans all buildings. All the wireless traffic is tunneled back to the Cisco controller. My questions relate to vlans mainly. I believe I am going to have 4 wireless networks, one for institution owned devices, one for staff personal devices, one for student personal devices, and a guest network. All users will have to authenticate in some way (staff and students have AD accounts). My thought is that the AP's would go on a trunk port and I would trunk the vlan for each wireless network and for management to the AP. Then the AP would tag their network traffic with the correct vlan based on how they have authenticated, is that correct? Should the vlans for the wireless network span across each building or will each building need a specific vlan for the each wifi network? What about the AP management vlan? Hope this makes some sense.



No comments:

Post a Comment