Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Question about WiFi encryption

Hey,

I'm studying for an IT certification, and just went through a Network+ course/book, but since it's an online course and I don't really have anyone to actually talk to, I had some unanswered questions about WiFi encryption.

So, I know AES is a symmetric encryption method, meaning the same key is used to encrypt and decrypt messages. In the context of a wireless network, is the key in question different for each client? I assume it would have to be, otherwise wouldn't it be possible for someone else authenticated on the same network to decrypt your transmissions?

My other question was: with WiFi encryption, messages are encrypted by my device, and decrypted by the router, right? So if someone authenticates to the same wireless network I'm on, could they potentially intercept my messages after they've been decrypted by the router?



No comments:

Post a Comment