Sunday, May 6, 2018

Media Converters Suck

Media converters suck. I have a lot of networks with over 100 meters between ROuters/MDFS and IDFS, and my engineering team seems to love employing these god awful devices that break at an ungodly hour multiple times a week, at this point the number of media converters we have deployed is just an asinine, and unsustanible amount, I am curious if there are better options for converting between fiber and copper than these devices that we could start deploying in an attempt to phase out media converters, and make our networks more reliable. I am fairly new to the infrastructure side of networking, but have suggested using SFPs as opposed to media converters, and my engineering team shot that down, so I am curious if there are any other devices/methods that could be employed (some sites have upwards of 50 to 100 media converters) .

I am reletively new to the infrastructure side of networking, but it seems the common consensus is media converters are the devil, and having to send out an On call employee to swap them at 3 am is not cost effective.



No comments:

Post a Comment