Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Looking for some advice on intentionally creating congestion

I'm trying to congest a trunk link between two Cisco IE4000 switches to conduct some tests that require a congested network with high latency. (This is for graduate school research). My general idea was to use a server I have with 4 network ports (Dell R610) to create four Ubuntu VMs, each running Ostinato network traffic generator. Then I am planning to send max bandwidth traffic through the network across the trunk port, two on each side sending to the other side. (So 2Gbps being input on each side of the 1Gbps trunk). I don't need the switches themselves to be congested (as I imagine I won't be able to generate the amount of bandwidth that they are designed to handle), just any communication from one switch to the other.

I'm not very familiar with Cisco switches in general, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice or any insight if this would be an effective way to generate high latency on the small test network for my tests.



No comments:

Post a Comment