Thursday, May 10, 2018

Experiences with backup infrastructure

Hello! I'm working on deploying a new backup system after discovering that the one we had in place has not been working much at all. I'm looking for experiences from people who manage backup systems that cover 20+ machines including quite large fileservers. Some details of my environment:

Systems: ~30 hosts, all running linux (Ubuntu 16.04-18.04, Centos7, and fedora)

One synology NAS box with approx 200TB of data stored.

2 additional storage servers running centos7. (much better than the synos, have raid cards, capacity of ~100 TB each)

Freeipa domain is available and configured.

10G-BASET and 10G-BASE-SR are available

Note that all the storage servers are running btrfs but the synology boxes don't interoperate with any other system running btrfs because syno made changes to the btrfs parts of the kernel.

Given this I think my requirements are:

Incremental

Compression must be none (would use btrfs zstd compression), or something like lz4, zstd, no gzip

I would love a system tied into kerberos as well.

Tape support is probably a plus as well. We may have a library available if I pester the right fellow.

I've tried btrfs send-recv, which does not work because the synos changed btrfs too much.

I've tried borg, which is OK but has trouble with large numbers of files.

I'm considering bacula and would love to know if anyone has any experience with it.



No comments:

Post a Comment