Monday, May 7, 2018

Cisco WiFi newbie: Can I rename an SSID from the IOS CLI?

I've got a reasonable handle on some Cisco WiFi concepts (controllers, capwap tunnels, mobility anchors) but have never actually worked with it.

Somebody's just asked me to re-name an SSID on a modest system consisting of a single 3850 running IOS-XE 03.07.04E and a small handful of APs.

I've reviewed the configuration from the switch CLI, found stanzas of the form:

wlan <profile> <id> <ssid> client vlan <vlan> no exclusionlist ip dhcp server <whatever> no security wpa akm dot1x security wpa akm psk set-key ascii <key> session-timeout 1800 no shutdown 
  1. Is changing the SSID as simple as removing this stanza and replacing it with another one? I'm worried that there's a whole universe of WiFi configuration that I'm not seeing from the switch CLI.
  2. The profile string in this configuration is the same as the ssid string, and doesn't appear anywhere else in the configuration (that I can see from the switch CLI). Is the profile string possibly referenced elswhere, and therefore it's critical that I preserve it? Putting it another way, shoud I change from wlan foo 1 foo to wlan foo 1 bar (changing only the SSID) or to wlan bar 1 bar (changing both the SSID and the profile).

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment