Monday, May 14, 2018

Cisco IOS switch (Allen-Bradley Stratix) pummeling vlan with ARP traffic for **my** computer's IP, dest MAC is all 0s. why?

I have a switch with a management SVI on the same VLAN as one of my workstations. I noticed today while pcapping something unrelated that the switch is just hammering the VLAN with ARP traffic for my workstation's IP: https://i.imgur.com/T5ztqfi.png

just some clarification on the switch: it isn't a Cisco branded switch, but rather an Allen-Bradley Stratix switch running Cisco IOS. for anyone unfamiliar, it behaves just like a Cisco switch from the CLI.

the destination MAC is all 0s. as I understand it this is used for gratuitous ARP, but these packets don't appear to be GARP. my computer is replying with it's MAC and the ARP

I've checked the config on the switch and there are no references to my IP that it's ARPing for. I've also tried issuing the no ip proxy-arp command to the SVI but it's made no difference. this switch is strictly doing L2 and the devices connected to it aren't experiencing any problems.

I've just consoled into the switch and shut the SVI sending the ARPs, but they're still being sent... I confirmed it's the same MAC too.

has anyone ever seen this before and/or have any advice? I'd love to just reboot the switch, but unfortunately I don't know when I'll get a maintenance window to do so.



No comments:

Post a Comment