Friday, May 11, 2018

BGP vs SD-WAN

Please excuse my ignorance on this. My company advertises a /24 network using a single multihomed connection to two ISPs, with our router receiving full tables. It seems to work great, except if one of the circuits goes down or has problems, then it takes several minutes for the routes to reconverge. I didn't design this myself as that would be a bit above my abilities, but now I am the one managing it.

Recently, my manager saw a SD-WAN demonstration where a phone call was going across WAN1, and was nearly seamlessly moved to WAN2 after WAN1 was degraded. He now wants me to explore putting SD-WAN on our outgoing circuits. From what I know about SD-WAN, this will replace our "best path" for a load-share design, but that it will eliminate the time required for a reconvergance.

Am I understanding this correctly? Should I explore SD-WAN for my primary circuit or should I just stick to BGP routing? Is there some hybrid solution that I should learn about?



No comments:

Post a Comment