Friday, May 11, 2018

Anyway to increase density on MMF? BiDi? Muxing? I'm concerned about core-diameter.

So, let me start by saying, yes, it should have been SMF. I have been preaching that since the start of the project, everyone was onboard, then the subs pulled in some OM4.

le sigh.

So, we have 2 core rooms and 30 some-odd riser rooms. Maximum cable distance is ~ 380 meters.

At most, to get from any core switch to any riser switch would be 3 patch cables and 2 structured fiber runs.

We have 6 strand fiber pulled in (again, i know, I wanted 24 strand OS2).

We have 3 different switches going in to each riser (different networks) and I'd like to double-connect each riser switch to each core switch at 1Gbps.

Can I run 1GBase-BiDi transceivers on OM4 up to 380 meters?

My concern is I'm not familiar with the impact of the launch diameter of the transceivers in relation to the core diameter of the fiber.

Should I use mode conditioning launch cables? or just stick with LC UPC / LC UPC OM4 patch cables straight into the transceivers?

Is there any kind of DWDM tranceivers or CWDM tranceivers and mux/demux equipment that would operate across OM4?

I'm really wishing I could just get them to replace the 6 strand OM4 with some 24 strand OS2, but I got shot down on that budget request. "single connected 1G is enough... these devices don't even need a 10th of that"...

yes, i know they don't even need 100Mbps connectivity, its that I want the redundancy of double connections, preferably with DC-LACP to the two core switches.

So, is there any way for me to make 4-6x 1GBase fiber connections on 6 strands of OM4?

Switches are Aruba 5406R ZL2 (core), Cisco 2960-X (access 1), TP-Link TL-SL2218, and Netgear GS418TPP.

If I can't get more than 3x1G connections to the closet, I might have to simply go to a 5-switch-ring topology for each access closet and setting up STP to block between Access 2 and Access 3.

God why couldn't we just get OS2.

Core Switch 1------- Access Switch 1 | | | | | Access Switch 2 | | | <--- STP blocking here. Core Switch 2------- Access Switch 3 


No comments:

Post a Comment