Friday, March 2, 2018

Help understanding fiber optic setup

I'm starting my career in IT, and I'm supervising an installation of a small office communications rack. The company doing the installation is supposed to set everything up, yet I want to fully understand the set up. Fiber comes through the ceiling to an optical ethernet demarcation unit, which as i understand, has a transceiver. This in turn is connected through cat5 to a cisco switch. From port 24 (of 24) of the switch, a mikrotik router is connected. What i dont understand fully is why the ethernet demarcation unit is connected to the switch first instead of the router, and what exactly this device does (i have not been able to find much info online, nor any datasheets for the device, model minifiberlinx-ii). I'd love some help, either by an explanation or references.



No comments:

Post a Comment