Friday, February 9, 2018

VLT needed for MXL 40Gig switches for ESXi hosts?

Ok, here's my situation: when I started my current gig, I found two Dell Chassis with M8024-k switches with 10Gig uplinks in fabric A that were configured as a stack. I really didn't like this, because they couldn't be updated without bringing down the whole chassis. So when we installed a new chassis with MXL switches with 40 Gig uplinks, I configured them as a VLT pair - one of the 40Gig uplinks on each one was used as the VLT link, and one was used to uplink to our core switches (themselves a VLT pair).

This has worked fine, but now I am about to install another new Chassis - and it occurs to me, why bother with te VLT on the MXLs? These are all VMware ESXi hosts in these chassis, so none of the ports are actually configured with portchannels. Its standard Vmware LBT. If instead I just used both uplinks as a portchannel to the core, with no link between them, it seems to me I'd have a much simpler solution and more upstream bandwidth, to boot. Anyone ever done this?



No comments:

Post a Comment