Thursday, February 8, 2018

Two conflicting thoughts on QOS markings. Can’t seem to find a Cisco doc to resolve it.

Hi. If this isn’t the correct place to post this please let me know and I’ll post there.

I’m working with a vendor who is using ip precedence to mark their traffic before it hits my router. We use DSCP so naturally it goes to our default class. They will be moving to using DSCP at my request but now here is where I’ve received two conflicting thoughts when I’ve asked some of the other network people at work.

  1. Vendor changed their markings to DSCP - we need to do nothing as they now match our QOS setup so all the queues should pass properly.

  2. Same as above except my thought is that their traffic will still fall into our default classes regardless if they marked it correctly or not. Our QOS doesn’t trust by default. We mark it on the way out using access lists to match against IPs. (Not my design and I can’t change our overall QOS design for this).

If this was a once or twice thing I’d just try option one first but they are looking to do this at.... many locations. I’d rather have this figured out ahead of time so I won’t need to fix any templates I’ll make to push it out.

Could the QOS gurus please weigh in on this one!

We are going from their router to my router then to another remote location with their servers. No switch involved until it gets to the other end.

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment