Sunday, February 18, 2018

[Question]Basic Cisco WAN terminology as applied to a Cable WAN

I am trying to learn some basic Cisco WAN topology and I am trying to apply the terms to a real world WAN, in this case my ISP (Cable Internet). I have tried searching for a Cable topology but it only ever shows the house and the CMTS.

How I assume it works

My House (CPE) Inside my house I have a Basic Linksys LAN Router and my ISP Modem (Is this the DTE?)

Outside - Just outside my house I have a small splitter that connects my cable to a bus topology that runs under the roof of each house in my block (Demarcation Point?)

Local Loop - Somewhere my ISP has a router for the area. (Is that the DCE?)

ISP - At the ISP there is a CMTS to terminate all the cable connections

Questions

Where are the Data Terminal Equipment (DTE) and the Data Communications Equipment (DCE) on this type of network?

The DCE sends a clock rate to the DTE, is that the ISP router (In the local loop) sending my ISP modem signals for speed etc?

Underground on the road, there is a manhole cover which engineers sometimes access, is ISP equipment like routers stored here or is it just cables?

My modem gets an IP address from the ISPs router, as does others in the area, is that local router considered part of the Local Loop?



No comments:

Post a Comment