Friday, February 9, 2018

Other entities joining a udp multicast network

So I've been working on a weird project. Multiple TV districts throughout my state rebroadcast TV signal from a large city. Currently, we all use an old microwave system abandoned by the state. The cost to upgrade this system is cost prohibitive.

I've set-up equipment at a TV studio and taking all the RF and converting it to Transport Stream over IP (TsoIP). We have an ISP who is taking that main feed from the studio, sending it to their facility where each district will pay for their own point to point fiber and join that network. The ISP is just basically providing a transparent L2 network where they will join the other users with simple ubiquity edge routers.

I want their set-up to be as simple as possible.

There is a management VLAN for the switches, a control VLAN to configure the equipment, and 3 VLANs with all the udp multicast data. I only want the other TV districts to join the 3 multicast VLANs.

I have a couple of different ideas. I'm thinking the cheapest way is I buy a switch, the users pay for it according to the MOU, I configure it on the other side of the edge router provided by the ISP and configure the switch. What I don't like is the idea of leaving a physical box outside of my control. I know there are control methods to lock that switch down, but I still don't think it's a good idea.

I suppose firewalls are the best way to go where I don't manage them. But I've had trouble with these basic udp multicast streams going through firewalls.

Any input would be appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment