Thursday, February 8, 2018

Need help on a possibly simple issue

Good morning/afternoon/evening r/networking.

Please bare with me if this gets a bit long. I just want to make sure I give enough information to you guys/gals.

I'm honestly stumped on this one, not sure what it could be. I've simulated this exact configuration and design, and it works fine on the simulation.

I have this network I'm helping to configure, it's a hub and spoke design, no redundant links, nothing fancy.

I have seven L3 3850 Cisco catalyst switches that are going to be connecting into a Cisco 4507, I'm literally configuring this setup as a router on a stick. Seven different IP schemes, one per 3850 with the 4507 acting as the router.

Each 3850 switch has a basic configuration; username and password, one configured VLAN with an IP address, and a switch default gateway, added nearly all my ports to the VLAN as access, SFP module uplink ports are configured as trunks with all VLAN access.

At the 4507, I have created all seven VLANs with the VLAN gateway ip addresses, enabled IP Routing (We're not doing dynamic routing at all.) I've configured the uplink ports to the 3850s as trunk ports as well with full VLAN access.

When it came to testing on the simulation, everything seemed to work fine. I did this in real hardware today, and I couldn't ping from one switch to the other.

When I went back to check my configurations on the 4507 using 'show run' I noticed that IP routing was not on the list, but if I enter command 'no IP routing', then 'no IP routing' shows up on the list. Google explains that this is normal on some Cisco switches.

I've tried to configure OSPFv2 after IP routing failed me, but then quickly discovered that the Cisco 3850s are missing this layer3 service.

Here's what I managed to write down. The IOS image on the Cisco 4507 is 'cat4500es8-universal.SPA.03.07.03.E.152-3.E3.bin'

Right now my only theory is that the Cisco 4507 is not routing, maybe due to the specific IOS image? Is there something simple that I'm just too numb to realize???

Unfortunately I am not able to show the configs since it's difficult to get a copy of at the moment, apologies for that.

Ask away any questions, and I'll answer them all. AND thank you in advance.

Edit:forgot to mention that at this moment, nothing is connected to the access ports on the edge switches, I'm simply just trying to ping other gateways on the 4507 and the other switches IP addresses.



No comments:

Post a Comment