Wednesday, February 28, 2018

DC Interconnect. Dual P2P Layer 3 links or Layer 3 PortChannel (Between Nexus 3k)

Hi all,

I am seeking input from anyone who has implemented anything similar. My design is Layer 3 but no requirement for OTV/VxLAN at this point. There will be no stretching of Layer 2. The P2P links are 1Gbps each.

I have some path steering considerations (encrypted tunnel with nightly data replication - so same src/dst) that is leaning me toward dual P2P L3 links but seeking 'devils advocates' as it were to the +/- on the L3 PortChannel as its not something that I have ever used outside a lab environment.

I understand that the Nexus hides the way it implements a L3 PortChannel which is all but the same as a VLAN & SVI. Is my recollection correct that when 1 lane of the PortChannel fills, that traffic will then be placed onto the 2nd lane? Or am I completely off the mark..

As I will have a bandwidth hungry ipsec tunnel with the same src/dst/L4 that will peak at 800Mb over night, so plan on steering remaining traffic to the other 1Gb link using the dual P2P approach.

Thanks in advance for any input available.



No comments:

Post a Comment