Friday, February 9, 2018

Crimped my own cables with very weird results. Explanation?

Hi.

I recently installed new Cat 6 cables in every room ending up in the technical room where the router and switches are.

You might get shocked, horrified and angry at what I did, but here goes: The Cat 6 cables were so insanely stiff that it was nearly impossible to use 568B termination (worange/orange/wgreen/blue/wblue/green/wbrown/brown).

So I did an evil thing and used my own sequence (orange, blue, brown and green pairs in that order). When I measured with the Ethernet meter, it showed a perfect 1-8 straight through connection, same as one would get when using 568B termination.

BUT, I only achieved 100mbps on every single cable. I noticed that yesterday at first.

I couldn't get my head around it. Why would this happen? The start and end point for each lead is exactly the same as with 568B, the only difference is me making my own order to make the crimping a whole lot easier.

I started to think the cable was bad, despite it having a solid core, with solid core plugs.

Experiment 1: Made 1 meter cable with 568B termination, with the cape inside the plug as it should be. Lead 1-8 connection to 1-8 on the other end. 1gbps connection.

Experiment 2: Made 1 meter cable with 568B termination, with the cape 10cm outside the plug just for testing purposes. Lead 1-8 connection to 1-8 on the other end. 1gbps connection.

Experiment 3: Made 1 meter cable with my own sequence termination, with the cape perfectly inside the plug. I really went all in to make a perfect cable on this one. Lead 1-8 connection to 1-8 on the other end. 100mbps connection!!!

How on earth is this possible? The leads start and end at the same point, just a different sequence. If the leads didn't follow 1-8 straight through I would totally get it (2 pair connection=100mbps, 4 pair=1gbps).

Do anyone have an explanation for this?



No comments:

Post a Comment