Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Catalyst 3850 stack addition Q

This is probably a simple question, but I couldn't find a definitive yes or no (probably because it's assumed), and I haven't worked on a cisco stack in ages.

I have a 4 switch stack of 3850s. I need to add another switch. The data and power (stacked power) cables are connected as follows:

1-2

2-3

3-4

4-1

My understanding is that this is a full duplex stack because it's looped back. And show switch stack-ring speed verifies this.

Can I safely disconnect the cables (data and stacked power both) between switch 4 and 1 (break the ring), to bring in switch 5? It should just go into a half-duplex type condition where bandwidth drops and lose shared power but nothing goes offline. Right? As long as the switch is powered off when I connect it, I can then power it on and it will auto upgrade/downgrade to the correct version when added to the stack?

Is there any advantage to pre-provisioning it with the switch number it will have after addition to stack? Is there any need to do any configuration of the switch at all beforehand?

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment