Monday, November 8, 2021

Ubiquiti vs Ruckus

I need to get more serious about my wifi implementation. Currently I am running a mix of several different consumer level access points on a small business network, but am looking for something that will support VLANs natively rather than managing access points for three different networks/VLANS. I have primarily been looking at either Ubiquiti or Ruckus.

Preferably I would like to find something that I can use a trunk port and assign VLAN per SSID, and not place multiple AP's immediately next to each other for and use assigned ports. The building is in excess of 100,000 square feet so something that would work in a mesh configuration would be ideal, along with adding a standard central management.

The primary concern is for only around 60-80 devices that require wifi and they will be placed in fixed locations. Beyond that there are a handful of phones that would be nice to get better coverage for, along with a better guest network for customers and vendors.

I am hoping that someone with some experience with either or both of these brands clarify a few questions:

  1. Is buying the access points alone is enough, or is there also a management appliance that needs to go along with them?
  2. Is Ubiquiti using standard 802.1q for tagging, or is it a proprietary solution with their switches?
  3. Does either brand require a subscription for management/updates?
  4. Preferences between the brands
  5. Another brand I am overlooking in the pro-sumer/enterprise categories.


No comments:

Post a Comment