Thursday, November 18, 2021

New Building Wiring (Cat5e/6/6a?)

TLDR: Does anyone have any recommendations for which CAT cabling to run from IDFs to endpoints? Bonus points for sources I can reference.

Greetings,

We are in the process of designing a new 55k+ square foot building, and I've been tasked with researching cable standards for the endpoints to connect back to the IDF. Things we are considering:

  • Future-proofing
  • VoIP phones may share the line with the computers to save on lines/switch ports
  • Current standard of 1 gig to endpoints
  • Cost/benefit
  • Growing POE requirements (VOIP phones, POS, WIFI APs)

We ran cat6a cabling in the last building we built, so we have the standing to request Cat6a for this building. However, my manager is wondering if we will ever see a return on our investment and if we should just install cat6 cabling in this building. Given that we are now running VOIP phones, I am inclined to think that cat6a cabling would be preferred, but I'm not finding much information on this; I would greatly appreciate a source online that I can point to. Is there a silver bullet in this day and age that tips the scale in favor of cat6a?

A few good articles I've already referenced:

Thanks



No comments:

Post a Comment