Friday, November 19, 2021

Network query (Unmanaged switch vs Windows Server vs NAS)

Hi,

I'm by no means a network guy so apologies in advance for missing any crucial information. Alas I have included a network diagram of sorts to help explain the issue.

https://imgur.com/a/37GTVnJ

Our network is dropping and I think due to over-utilisation of our NAS backups (software running on Windows Server). It is taking in ~500Mbps (from main NAS) and spitting out ~500Mbps (to backup NAS) via our unmanaged switch.

Now the switch itself can apparently handle 32Gbps of "switching capacity". Therefore while the backups may go slow (as it may exceed the individual ports 1000Mbps capacity) what I did not expect is for the general office network to go slow as a result.

In fact, I think it has crashed internet connectivity entirely at peak times. There are between 10 and 20 office users who do not do anything else "network intensive" unless they are all on youtube 4k streaming without me knowing....

Long story short - why is our otherwise beefy internet appearing to be affected by the backup procedure? I thought the switch would be able to safely route internet to the rest of the office? The server does not handle DHCP or as far as I know any internet function so it puzzles me why the general internet is affected....



No comments:

Post a Comment