Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Career transition to Sales Engineer (and back?)

Hi all,

I was hoping to get another perspective on what it's like to transition from a technical role in an organization to a presales SE role for a large vendor. I might have an offer coming down the pipe and want to be able to make an informed decision.

I have over 10 years of experience in a "pure" networking role. I've always been on the customer side of the table when it comes to sales and so on. It seems like it could be an interesting new challenge for me, but I feel a little blind as well.

Would anyone who's made the transition be able to share a bit about your experience? How's work/life balance compared to a support role in your experience? The pay, opportunity for advancement? Anything else you wish you knew?

And in case it ends up being something I don't enjoy, what about the path back? Will organizations see such a role on a resume and run the other way? Is it possible to successfully transition back to the other side after a year or two or am I handicapping myself?

Sorry for the rambling and maybe silly questions. It's been a long time since I've entertained such a career change. Just hoping for some guidance and maybe a sanity check. Thanks in advance!



No comments:

Post a Comment