Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Bird and multihop BGP

Hello,

I was attempting to setup a lab for a work project.

I had two cloud VPC networks (GCP in this case) which each had a Bird instance running with a public IP.

I attempted to peer them over the internet and have them share a private address range in first VPC network.

I was able to write a filter which successfully changed routes "next_hop" to the public address of the Bird instance which is advertising the private routes.

The issue is, on the second bird instance, which is receiving the routes (this is EBGP, a new AS number). I could not make the routes "reachable".

I have the configuration for multihop working, and again it does appear like the actual peering and sharing of the routes works.

I googled around a bit and I saw a few suggestions saying "every hop between both peers must have a static route in linux's routing table"

Is this true? If so, I think this lab cannot happen since I'm going thru the cloud and a traceroute does not identify every hop.



No comments:

Post a Comment