Saturday, October 16, 2021

Struggling with HP VLANs and tagging.

Apologies if this is too basic. It's not homelab related as I'm reviewing switches in a production but it's probably very basic for this group. Feel free to close/delete it if it's too simple for this group.

Hey everyone, I've started a new job and networking is something I will finally start doing. I will be managing a variety of Cisco and HP switches. I took the CCNA & CCNP courses back in college (8+ years ago) but I never was able to get into a networking role within my city.

I was reviewing a very basic configuration on a HP Switch within the office and I'm struggling with a few items regarding VLANs and Tagging.

This is what the config looks like:

VLAN 1

**Name "Default VLAN"** **no untagged 5,7** **untagged 1-4,6,8-10** **ip address 10.10.10.15** **255.255.0.0** **exit** 

VLAN 40

**Name "VLAN40"** **tagged 1-10** **no ip address** **exit** 

VLAN 50

**Name "VLAN50"** **Untagged 5,7** **Tagged 10** **No IP Address** **Exit** 

Now from what I've read, the terminology between Cisco and HP differs.

Cisco Speak = Procurve (most industry) speak :
Access port = untagged port
Trunk port = tagged port (802.1Q)
Etherchannel/FEC = Trunk or LACP

So reviewing the configuration, I'm a bit confused on the HP speak.

VLAN 1 shows that ports 1-4,6,8-10 are "untagged" thus making them access ports.
VLAN 1 shows no untagged 5,7 this means that ports 5,7 are a trunk?

VLAN 40 has ports 1-10 tagged, so all ports are trunks

VLAN 50 has ports 5,7 as access ports
VLAN 50 also has a trunk on ports 10

What is confusing me are these tagged ports. VLAN 40 has 1-10 tagged and vlan 50 has port 10 tagged.



No comments:

Post a Comment