Wednesday, October 13, 2021

I don't understand subnetting.

Hi, so I was wondering if any of the good people of Reddit could help me with an issue I'm having. I'm currently taking Networking 1 in college and one of the main things we have to know is how to subnet different network addresses and find the Network ID, 1st available network, last available, and Broadcast ID given a number of hosts (200, 100, 50, etc).

I've tried to wrap my brain around how to do this and I'm legitimately lost on where to even start but I just don't know. Where does the host number even get incorporated into an address? So if I have an address of 192.168.0.0 with a subnet mask of /16, where would 100 hosts even fit into that? How would I use 100 hosts to find the first/last available addresses and the broadcast?

Any help is appreciated because I've tried studying this but nowhere online seems to have any lessons or guides about subnetting with given host amounts.



No comments:

Post a Comment