Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Fluke Tone Bleed

Hey guys!

I've got an odd situation. A partner and I are going room to room and verifying cable runs and labeling and such. As part of the process, we're using a fluke to tone and locate which cable goes where in the patch panel to label.

Curiously, a few drops tone all the way through the actual switch, and bleed really aggressively into other cables. I'm aware that there can be actual signal bleed from cables that are super close together, and that usually presents itself as the cables directly next to the toned one getting a "4" or so on the toning wand, whereas the primary cable gets a solid "8". But with a handful, before unplugging the cable from the switch, several other cables on the switch (sometimes even opposite ends of the switch) tone a 6-8, and then immediately stop when unplugged from the switch.

This is WAY stronger than I've ever seen regular bleed go, and it's my understanding that the signal from the intellitone should NOT be able to to come back OUT of the switch and onto another active cable.

I'm a SysAdmin who's fairly new to the routing/switching world of networking, so I could totally be missing something, but I'm concerned that there may be some misconfiguration in the switch causing some kind of broadcast storm.

Things I've checked:

  • There are no active LAGs on the switch
  • Storm control is intentionally disabled
  • None of the ports are VLANned off
  • Rapid Spanning Tree is enabled

This is a Dell N2048 in a stack.

Is there something obvious I'm missing? Is this actually to be expected? Am I crazy?

Hopefully this is just a case of me misunderstanding and not some error on the part of the person who configured the switch previously.

Thank you in advance for your help!



No comments:

Post a Comment