Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Can Ping Some Printers on Printer Network and Can't Ping Others

Recently we've had a strange occurence where two of our Xerox (the only two we have) copiers are unable to receive jobs and can't be printed from. These copiers were working fine two weeks ago and then just suddenly stopped working. No changes were made on the network at all.

I've tried to ping both of them with no luck. Assigning different ip addresses to the copiers still doesn't allow us to reach them.

Both of the copiers will receive pings for about 20 seconds every 30 minutes or so. Within those 20 seconds I'm able to reach the GUI of the copier as well as badge into the machine within 2 seconds. When the connection drops, it takes me about 60 seconds to badge in and the GUI is unreachable.

The other strange thing is that I can ping every other printer on that network from various other different networks. It just seems to be these two xerox copiers don't want to communicate anymore.

I can ping the printer network gateway and we do have the necessary trunk link established to allow the staff and staff wireless VLAN to communicate with the printer VLAN. I've confirmed that the switchports these devices are connected to are configured for that printer VLAN.

We have a Cisco 4500x that acts as our core switch that is connected to two Nexus 5ks. The Nexus 5ks have our virtual interfaces for our VLANs.

I can ping the printer from the Nexus5ks but not from the Cisco 4500-x.

I can ping the Nexus 5ks and the printer gateway from the Cisco 4500-x.

I haven't added any sort of ACL or anything that would have suddenly blocked the xerox machines so I'm at a loss at what could be cause this sudden block. I've added an explicit rule to our Cisco ASAs that would allow ANY connection to the copier IPs just to see, and still no luck reaching it.

I've had Xerox out about 4 times and they haven't been able to figure out what's going on and keep saying it's "something on our network". They've assured me multiple times that their hardware is working.

I know this might be better suited for r/printers , but since they keep saying its our network, I'd figure if I could pick any brains here.

I appreciate any tips or suggestions!



No comments:

Post a Comment