Saturday, August 21, 2021

Latency of SFP+ with 10G base-T module vs 10Gbase-T nic

Hello everyone

I am soon getting multi-gig fiber optic and I was shopping around for a nic capable of handling the 2.5gbit connection in. The only issue is that the provider (Google Fiber) is requiring the use of their ONT. I was looking at getting either the Intel X550T2 (rj-45) or X520-da2/sr2(sfp+) for a PFsense box. I was reading this article from fs.com about the difference in latency between Rj-45 and SFP+ DAC's. I know that DAC's provide the lowest latency, but I was wondering if there is a difference in latency with a nic that has native rj-45 ports vs getting a sfp+ 10Gbase-T adapter. My guess is having a sfp+ 10Gbase-T module for WAN in then a DAC out to the core switch would provide the lowest latency, but I wonder how much latency that adapter adds compared vs native RJ-45. Do you think it is comparable to the latency that a fiber optic sfp+ module adds?

Thanks any input.



No comments:

Post a Comment