Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Do you find networking meaningful?

I want to save everyone from a wall of text so, tl;dr: do you find "doing networking" meaningful?

The long version is:

I like networking because it's technically challenging. However, I doubt whether the work I do makes the world a better place.

For example, the latest project I did was sending syslog into ELK instead of a proprietary logging system. The benefit of this "huge": we have better alerting, we pay less in support costs, our logs are integrated with other systems, etc.

But ELK isn't going to change anyone's life. We're still going to have alerts go to people after hours. The cost savings will never go into the pockets of my team members. We might save some time here and there, but not much. Despite the banging on about "digital transformation", the company's line of business still runs as it always did before the system was implemented. It all ends in a big, "so what?".

I've had the same struggle with any professional development. Say I wanted to take my CCNP to a CCIE: besides bragging rights, what's the point? To work on a bigger, more complicated network? I don't really see myself as a better person, because I suddenly know how to use dual-hub with DMVPN instead of single-hub or because I can sell cDNA better internally, so why bother?

This is what I'm hoping you can help with, by sharing what you find meaningful in the networking you do, and how the networks you run impacts the world.

Much appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment