Tuesday, August 17, 2021

10/100M link LED still up but not on 1000M when wire cut in ethernet cable

To add a bit of context; this is about switches and I was just wondering if someone has an explanation to why the LED indicating that an link is up stays on on both 10M and 100M when i cut a wire in an ethernet cable. Now while I did this I did cut the solid green wire. Does this have anything to do with auto-negotiation not being so common on 10/100M atleast on 10M whereas on 1000M it is? Now I know that 1000M uses all it's four pairs compared to 10/100M which uses only two. What I'm really curious about is that this does not happen on 1000M. Why I did cut a wire in the first place was just to see how each wire behaves individually. If anyone has an explanation to why this does not happen on 1000M and maybe a work around to it from preventing the link LED from going down on 1000M if possible then it would be highly appreciated. Thanks.



No comments:

Post a Comment