Monday, August 23, 2021

Could a double-strand single mode trunk be replaced with a 1+1G link aggregate trunk using single-mode fiber SFPs?

So, my organization is planning on upgrading all of our network devices, and we plan on using EVPN in the new setup. Now, my very limited knowledge of EVPN does say that it greatly benefits from using link aggregation for load-balancing and redundancy. Our plan is to create fiber paths between our access nodes and our leaves to support this.

Our current infrastructure has two-strand single-mode fiber between the switches, and only ever one link. We don't use link aggregation at the moment. However, my idea is that when we replace these devices, we adapt both strands into individual, single-strand links. That way, we'd have a redundant, load-balanced 1+1G link aggregate as the trunks without having any new infrastructure!

I feel like this is a good idea, but part of me feels like it's too obvious to be effective. Like, there has to be some reason why we shouldn't do this, right? I dunno, maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Do you think it would work? Thanks in advance for the advice.



No comments:

Post a Comment