Saturday, July 17, 2021

More routable ports per a router?

Hello, I am a bit new to networking and I apologize for any mistakes

currently working on a school project, design a network that has at least 3 physical locations, and a few other non-relevant requirements (in cisco packet tracer).

I have designed a partial mesh (aka controlled chaos) with some redundancy at key locations.

Now the Issues that I am having is not having enough ethernet ports, in packet tracer I can add a NIM ES2-4 module that will give me 4 switch ports, but I would not be able to configure them for router to router communication(each building has its own router and at 2 locations there are 4 routers).

I could use serial connections for router to router (building to building) communication, but as I understand serial is much slower than an ethernet connection.

What would be the proper way to connect several routers together?

my original thought was "Oh I can just have a switch in the center that all the routers connect to" but I was told by my prof that this is impractical and did not elaborate on other potential methods.

Thank you,
Sincerely,

A Massive Noob



No comments:

Post a Comment