Friday, July 23, 2021

Modem mode & Static Routes?

Hi All,

I'm pretty sure I'm just overthinking, but if I put a ISP Router (Like Virgin's Hub for example) in modem mode (I know that modem mode passes all traffic over to the router plugged into the Virgin Hub) and plug it into a firewall or router like the UDM Pro or Sonicwall or whatever you want to use. Why is it the case that the router being plugged into the Virgin Hub (which is now in modem mode) can still send traffic over to the Internet even though there's no static route like 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Public IP and I know having a static route would still be problematic because of PAT but still don't understand how it's capable of forwarding the traffic without a static route to the WAN? Even with a directly connected route existing, it still wouldn't make sense because when a packet wants to go off of your network, the destination IP address of the packet will NOT be your public IP address.

Am I missing something obvious here?



No comments:

Post a Comment