Wednesday, July 7, 2021

DHCP Relay or DHCP Within Subnet

I'm a novice when it comes to networking for my organization and have recently upgraded all our unmanaged switches to managed. And implemented a bunch of different VLANs for different services including one for public Wi-Fi. I just realized our firewall equipment does not support more than 256 leases (which we are already using 80% of, per our ISP). They gave me the option to setup a DHCP Relay using my own equipment or purchase new hardware from them. I figured I would just setup a DHCP server but since this will be serving a public Wi-Fi VLAN, I'm unsure if I should use a relay or keep that VLAN completely isolated to itself and configure the DHCP server just for that network?

I doubt I'll be doing much with this server once in place except keeping it patched. Which would be easier to do if I set it up as a relay on our management VLAN. We don't have a need for DHCP in any other VLAN at the moment but may down the road.



No comments:

Post a Comment