Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Confusing port channel configurations

I recently started working at a new company and have started off by documenting their already existing network. I've discovered something I've never seen before and my google-fu is failing me. In several spots on the network, there are switches connected together by multiple physical connections. On switch-1, each interface is configured as an L3 interface with an IP and a significant amount of IP PIM configs for multicast addresses. On Switch-2, they are configured to be a part of a port-channel with incongruent IP addresses. (see linked picture for a visual example, I've changed the IP addresses for privacy)

https://i.imgur.com/DmhcVVy.png

I have a good grasp of how multicast works, but it isn't something that I have had a lot of practical experience with. However, this configuration just seems incorrect to me, and I can't for the life of me understand why it was done this way, or even how it is working correctly. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.



No comments:

Post a Comment