Thursday, June 3, 2021

Wireless Roaming Understanding Help

Trying to understand something. I'm reading something that says if dhcp renews during wireless roaming it can cause a problem. I understand that it could be a problem, but I don't understand how it could happen. So say I have a WLC in a DC, and 10 lightweight APs in a building for arguements sake. I go in the building with my laptop and join SSID X. On my controller I have an interface that related to SSID X, with an IP address bound to VLAN 10 (for arguements sake). Now, The intention is to roam around the building, staying on SSID X. So I go from AP1 to AP2 staying on SSID X. Since I moved from AP1 to AP2, the subnet hasn't changed, since I've not changed SSID, I'm still on VLAN 10 (and there is 0% chance that will ever change). So like, how can DHCP ever renew during roaming since 99.9% of human people don't switch SSID every time they roam, you will never leave your subnet. What am I missing?



No comments:

Post a Comment