Thursday, June 3, 2021

VOIP- ICMP Policing?

Hello,

So just some background, I’m fairly new to the VOIP world and networking world in general so I apologize in advance if I say anything stupid. But onto my question:

I’ve taken traceroutes from a cloud hosted VOIP server to a local network to determine audio issues and I’ve often seen hops that have sometimes 80% constant packet loss. I’ve been told by my superior this is not accurate and it’s something called “ICMP policing” and if there’s icmp policing you won’t be able to tell true pack loss on that node if there even is any. This seems accurate as I’ve seen this on systems where audio quality is perfect even though some node is showing that same level of packet loss. When I search online I can’t find anything about icmp policing or what it actually is or why it results in a seemingly huge level of packet loss.

Can anyone explain this to me? Is there anyway to get an accurate measure of nodes that have icmp policing? Is there anyway to tell if a node is for sure icmp policing or true packet loss?

Thanks in advance for any guidance



No comments:

Post a Comment